Monday, August 25, 2008

Socks Ahoy

I am really into socks right now (well, again). I had this gorgeous red/pink-themed sock yarn sitting around (it also has hints of grey/purple/blue/brown/orange, but it's mostly red) - and I don't actually remember where I got it from because evidently, at some point in time, I wound it into balls and then misplaced the band with all of the relevant information on it. I want to say it's a Kaffe Fassett yarn, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I finally decided to do something with them. We had a bit of a social gathering on Friday evening, and since I've been sick (I am finally feeling better!) I didn't want to do much but sit and knit. So I camped out by the snack table in the kitchen - where there was light - and began working on Spring Forward. By Saturday afternoon I had the heel turned and the gusset stitches picked up (most miraculously of all, I picked up exactly the right amount of stitches on each side - omg). I'm in the home stretch now, I just have to remeasure my foot to make sure that I knit to the right size. I have tried it on as I go and wonder of all wonders, it actually fits! And the lace looks pretty darn sweet! I'm excited about it.

To be honest, I felt a bit dull knitting and drinking tea while I was at a party. But there were a few folks there who weren't partaking of the usual party stuff either, and I had a good time chit-chatting with them and grooving to funk music while I got used to the lace pattern. I can totally see myself doing that again. I might earn myself a reputation as a fibre-obsessed weirdo, but I'm quite alright with that.

So here are some more socks I'm desperate to try:

Diamond Waffle
Broad Ripple
Kew
Kites

As an aside, I'm desperate to try some of Anne Hanson's lace. Her work is so amazing and intricate and beautiful, and though I know it would take me a thousand years to make a shawl, I just want to get out there and knit it!

In other WIP news, Eloping is going swimmingly. I popped by the LYS on Saturday afternoon and bought some sock yarn for Ben's socks (Jo's beau) - I got Brown Sheep Company Wildfoote in a very manly black-grey. I did drool (not literally) over the rest of the sock yarn in the sock room, but I'll save that for later (if anyone wants to get me 100g of Noro sock yarn, though, you're more than welcome... haha). Anyway, while I was checking out I showed off my progress and confessed that I have no idea how to block. The ladies, as ever, were quite helpful and told me all I need to know. Can you believe that the first time I ever stepped foot into Handheld I felt intimidated and like I wouldn't really ever go back because I had no idea what I was doing? HA! I love the place now. Had I more cash I'd be in there every week!

Alright, I have a sock to finish, and yes, a second sock to cast on immediately. If I'm lucky I'll have a pair to show off by the end of the week! Adios!

No comments: