Tuesday, August 12, 2008

WIP: Eloping

Back to "Eloping": I now have the "progress" part of "work in progress"! Yesterday I paid a visit to my lovely LYS (Handheld) and picked up a skein of Crystal Palace Panda Silk (in Denim, though it fits the bill for Jo's preference of light blue). I also scored four back issues of "Knit Simple" for fifty cents apiece (I'm so happy about it, you have no idea), and sought advice about how to properly make use of my swift and ball winder as I was concerned that I might be stretching out my yarn. (Joy is a blessing and a fount of knowledge - thankyou for your help!)

Practicing the lace pattern for the garter was another issue altogether. I had to look up how to do a yo before a purl stitch (it's the little things that trip you up, isn't it?), but once I got that sorted out, I managed to find my way through the pattern. It helps that it's only a four-row repeat. Also, weirdly, I can follow the written instructions a lot better than the chart, and usually I'm a chart person. Whatever works, I say. So far I'm practicing with mercerized cotton on slightly bigger needles than the 3.25mm ones called for in the pattern before I get going with the Panda Silk. It's tricky and I have to announce the stitches to myself before I do each one, but I had to do that for the Lacy Hug-Me-Tight lace, too, until I got the hang of it. I'm getting there.

Photos soon! I actually bought batteries for my camera today, so I hope to start posting pictures again.

Back to knitting!

No comments: